SNAP & WIC
We are excited to announce that the Fishers Farmers Market now accepts SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)!
Supplemental Nutrition Assistant Program (SNAP)
It's easy to use your Hoosier Works EBT card to buy fresh, healthy, local food at the Farmers Market. At the Fishers Parks & Recreation tent, market staff will swipe your EBT card for the amount you request.
You will then be given wooden tokens to buy anything except cut flowers, alcohol, and ready to eat foods. The tokens never expire and can be used at the Fishers Farmers’ Market at any time. For information on applying for EBT benefits call 211, text INSNAP to 85511, or visit their website.
How to use SNAP EBT at the Fishers Farmers' Market
- EBT card customers should start at the blue Parks and Recreation Department tent in the middle of the market (directly in front of the stage).
- Market staff will swipe your EBT card for the amount you want to spend. Then you enter your PIN.
- You’ll receive wooden tokens for the amount swiped on your card. The tokens have purple lettering and come in $1 increments.
- Use the tokens just like cash to buy eligible foods from market vendors.
How do I shop with my SNAP tokens?
- Shop around before you buy. Visit different vendor booths to see what foods they are selling and compare prices. Decide how much you want to spend at the market. You may need some cash in addition to your SNAP tokens
- NO CHANGE IS GIVEN for SNAP purchase. Please note that as per USDA rules, vendors are not able to give change on SNAP purchases so plan accordingly. You may need to use a mix of tokens and cash.
- Keep leftover SNAP tokens to spend the next time you shop at the Fishers Farmers’ Market. Tokens do not expire.
What can I buy with my SNAP tokens?
- Fruits, vegetables, and herbs
- Cheese, eggs, and other dairy products
- Meat products (red meat, seafood, poultry)
- Bread and other baked goods
- Honey, maple syrup, jams, and sauces
- Seeds and plants that produce food (e.g. basil seeds or tomato plants)
Want to hear from someone who uses SNAP at their local farmers market? See advice from food blogger Rachel Floyd, who offers great insight and tips for spending SNAP dollars at the market.
WIC & Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
You can spend your WIC and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) checks at the Fishers Farmers’ Market to buy fresh fruits and vegetables from most of our produce vendors.
- Look for farm booths with the posted WIC and Senior FMNP sign or stop by the blue Fishers Parks & Recreation tent to pick up a brochure that lists the participating vendors.
- Visit different vendor booths to see what foods they are selling and compare prices. Vendors may not give change or exchange the checks for cash. You have to spend the entire amount of the check. If your total purchase is more than the amount of the check, you will need to put some items back or pay for the difference with cash or SNAP tokens.
- You may purchase only fresh (raw) fruits, vegetables, and herbs with your WIC and Senior FMNP checks. You may not buy honey, eggs, milk, cheese, nuts, plants or flowers, ornamental corn, miniature pumpkins, gourds or processed foods such as jams, jellies, syrups, popcorn, juices/ciders, and baked goods.
- Market staff will be happy to help you shop with your WIC and Senior FMNP checks—just ask!
For more information about WIC FMNP call 1-800-522-0874 or visit their website.
To be eligible for Senior FMNP, you must be 60 or older and be enrolled in an Area on Aging Agency (AAA) program. Call 317-803-6131 for more information.