Spring Scouting Day at Ritchey Woods Nature Preserve
Monday, April 8 | 5 – 9 p.m. | Ritchey Woods
Looking for a fun way to earn scouting badges? Scouts can join us for hands-on environmental education activities that help to meet some badge requirements. Registration is required.
Scouts will rotate among five activities with approximately 30 minutes per activity. Activities include:
- Take Action: learn how to protect the environment and engage in a short service project
- Outdoor Skills: spend time learning and practicing valuable outdoor skills
- Outdoor Games: engage with fellow scouts with fun games and activities
- Campfire: food is welcome (hotdogs, s’mores, etc.), so bring your supplies for dinner around the campfire. We will provide roasting sticks.
- Nature Hike
Scout leader can register for this event under their name and select the quantity of scouts they are bringing. The price is $5 per scout. This event is available to both boy and girl scouts ages 5 - 11 years old (kindergarten - 5th grade).
All children who attend must register and pay as a scout (including siblings). Adult supervision is required (1 adult is permitted to chaperone up to 6 scouts). There is no charge for adult chaperones.
Things to Know
- Dress for the weather. All activities take place outdoors and scouts must be prepared for the weather. If it’s cold, dress in layers. Don’t forget hats, gloves, and coats. If it’s raining, don’t forget rain boots and rain jackets - please note no umbrellas. Shoes must be closed toe - no flip flops. Scouts will not be permitted to participate in shoes that do not cover their toes. If it has rained prior to the day of the program, be prepared for the possibility of mud. Consider an old pair of shoes or boots!
- Don't forget to bring supplies for your own dinner. You may pack dinner or we welcome you to bring hot dogs or similar foods to prepare over the campfire. We will provide roasting sticks.
- Feel free to bring a refillable water bottle with your name on it and a snack. The groups who are assigned the first or last dinner rotation may find that they require a snack for an energy boost.
- Please meet at the cabin for check in. You are welcome to check in as early as 4:30 p.m.. Activities begin at the shelter promptly at 5 p.m.
Are you an Eagle Scout interested in completing a project with Fishers Parks & Recreation? Contact Dan Domsic, Community Engagement & Volunteer Manager, for more information.